Friday 5 April 2013

Day one - Project 7 (Learn All the Parts of My Car)

Sunday, March 31

  I don't know anything about cars.  I know how to drive them, and that's it.  It's like the internet.  I know how to navigate it, search engines and all that.  But programming languages, the insides of computers.... You know what the last bit of computing I did that wasn't clicking on things with a mouse?

  10 PRINT "YOU SUCK"
  20 GOTO 10
  30 END

RUN

YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK

YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK

YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK
YOU SUCK

  You know what didn't suck?  My Commodore 64. *

  Anyway, that's me and cars.  I got a new car last year.  And by new I mean like new.  I like it.  It has a place where I can put my flash drive and hear things on the STEREO!  Everyone is tired of me explaining how very RAD this is.  But my last car was a mostly analogue 2003 Hyundai Accent where the radio conked out in the first year, and with no CBC and just a cd player to sustain me, I became a big fan of audiobooks not long after.

  I did learn to do a couple things with my old car.  I learned that I should have been ashamed of myself when I took the car to the dealer to get replacement windshield wiper blades installed.  So I figured out how to do that myself (this is not nothing - have you not read earlier posts, formed a pretty accurate portrait by now?).  Later, I realized that if I craned my head around, I could see where the headlight bulbs went.  Unfortunately, the housing for my Accent's battery had been rusted solid by ancient screws, so I had to take the whole front quarter of the grill off to have enough room to reach in and unplug/replace the bulb.  It was cold that day, and gloves were not aiding the process, so I felt pretty tough and manly by the end.  Hey, the headlight worked, and I saved a few bucks.

  So I've been reading about internal combustion engines.  I think it has something to do with that James Watt fellow and this whole Industrial Revolution the kids today are so hung up on.  I'm having a Love's Labour's Lost sort of time with comprehending the basics.  Truth to tell, combustion kind of breaks my brain.  I don't think I fully comprehend fire.  I mean I can use it sure, search engines and all that, but...

  I'll get back to you.

-Mike

* Okay, it sucked a little.  But suck-sight is 20/20.  oh, and the Vic 20 totally did suck.

1 comment:

  1. Engines are pretty amazing, and transmissions are even more amazing. You really should learn to change your oil, but it sounds like your driveway is not the place to do it.

    ReplyDelete