Saturday 23 February 2013

Day Five - Project 3

 I read and read and read.  I got to 10 pages left in Huckleberry Finn last night, and realized that 4 separate times with the book on my face.  I finished it today, and started The Prince and the Pauper.

  Huckleberry Finn was pretty awesome, gotta say.  Still a lot of dissonance from the word (you know the one).  Every time I read it, I cringed, and tried to buy into the "Commentary on the society from an author trying to provoke thoughts/raise consciousness."  Tom Sawyer's involvement is fantastic because of who and what he is - an unspeakable little example of how selfishness is hardwired into children, regardless of era.

  The Prince and the Pauper is fun for me, because I didn't remember from the abridged kiddie version that it was Prince Edward Tudor, with Henry VIII and the rest.  I got into Tudor era history a little while ago.  It was only because I watched an episode of The Tudors at my friends Gil and Megan's place,and love period dramas, even if they're a little ridiculous.  It's pretty ridiculous, but one great thing about watching any TV show or movie about this era is the amount of real history recorded during it.  The number of quotes I read in an Antonia Fraser book on the wives of Henry VIII that appear almost word for word in The Tudors, A Man for All Seasons, Anne of the Thousand Days, etc., is impressive.

  I'm only a little ways into the The Prince and the Pauper, but I will say I like the way that the inciting incident is crafted.  I always thought it was a "I say, urchin, wouldst thou likest to take upon thyself mine own finery whilst I should adorn myself in yon rags?  Would it not be most excellent sport?  Murther.  Anon.  Verily."  For all the unlikelihood of the meeting and the boys' appearances, I appreciated the way Twain took it from there.

  The bell has tolled eleven, and I must away.  Exit, pursued by a crippling project workload.



  -Mike

 

No comments:

Post a Comment