Friday 22 March 2013

Day One(?) - Project 6 (Start jogging outside)

  I really needed a break from all the big think.

  I put this one on the list because for a number of reasons.  One is that it is a really good introductory Physical Challenge project.  It might help me with endurance, with the eventual sports, and possibly help me become a faster runner.  The second reason it that it is cheap.  I can run on a treadmill all day long (or an hour), but treadmills are expensive.  So are the gyms that frequently house them.  The outside world is somewhat free if you simply want to walk on it.

  Lastly, that fact about running on a treadmill is absolutely true.  No matter how out of shape I am, I can jog on a treadmill for a LONG TIME.  I don't know why.  This will seem unimpressive to the rest of you, but for me, it is very strange.  When I am outside, jogging at a pace slower than I would use on a treadmill, my lungs  start to burn.  It only takes a few minutes.  My lungs don't do that in a nice, air-conditioned gym or on a friend's treadmill.  In summer it's bad enough, but it winter?  I really don't ever want to be in a life or death struggle in the cold.  Wolves that would never come near the smell of man would take a look at me and say, "Come on guys, this is the DEFINITION of weeding out the sick and old!  let's put the human out of its misery!"

  I'm sure someone knows why this is.  I never quite hit something useful with my searches on the internet.  I think I'll have to ask my doctor about it next time.  In the meantime, if it is not killing me, I have to try and beat it.

  I went for an easy jog tonight.  I did an interval run to the drugstore two kilometres away (2.2, actually, thankew, Google),  I don't have a pedometer, or in fact, a watch, so I simply counted every right footstep.  After a hundred, I switched to a walk, then after a hundred count again, back to jogging.  I went to the store, bought water and orange juice, stuck it in a backpack, and continued the same to home.  I even counted the steps in the store.  How obsessive is that, huh?  I'm going to look into jogging tips on the internet tomorrow, and then see if I should make it a little harder tomorrow, or go at the same level to see if I can do it with a little less hunka-hunka-burnin'-lung.  That's terrible imagery.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment