Friday 1 March 2013

Day Ten - Project 3 (Complete)

   Well, this project, as anticipated, did not come close to meeting the objective.  I guess the lesson learned in project 3 is do a little prep work before adding something enormous to the project list.

  But failure aside, the objective of the academic goals are to make me a more well-read person.  Mark Twain now climbs the charts of writers I love to rub elbows with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Neil Gaiman, Christopher Hitchens, Kurt Vonnegut, Michael Marshall Smith, and others.  This was the most enjoyable project yet.  I really don't want to spoil anything, so I didn't really do fair reviews of the books.  That said, I don't care, I was having too much fun reading Twain's stuff.  I'll be trying to keep scheduling time for more of his stuff when I'm supposed to be concentrating on new projects.

  I didn't finish Roughing It. I should clarify and say I haven't finished it yet.  Twain's time in Salt Lake City is really amazing.  One of the greatest writers of his age, he was walking around and observing and reporting on a new religion in its infancy.  I find myself wishing I had his first hand assessments of the birth of the "Big Three" monotheisms.  Mark Twain travels to England and meets Wells' time traveller, and incredibly well-penned hilarity ensues.

  I find myself getting a tad bit tangential, so to recap:

-  Due diligence in adding of projects to the list in order to attempt to do them justice
-  Perhaps some sort of alerting to spoils in order to do more comprehensive reviews and prove I read what I've said I read
-  Mark Twain is AWESOME.

  Oh, Heckfire and Tarnation, scratch the first one.  It's no fun to try easier projects.  I might as well get all vice presidential and shoot at birds from the back seat of a car.  It's no crime to try these things and fail.  It would be pointless to not keep trying.

-Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment