Friday 22 March 2013

Day Ten - Project 5 (Complete)

I finished Julius Caesar, and I am into Antony and Cleopatra, allowing me to continue to rip off HBO's casting to make the performance in my head more familiar and easier to comprehend.  I only read Othello, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, A Comedy of Errors, Love's Labour's Lost, and Julius Caesar completely, having just waded into Antony and Cleopatra.  I wasn't expecting Love's Labour's Lost to so completely defeat me.  I learned that Shakespeare's tragedies that don't have teenagers in them are absolutely awesome stories.  I also learned that if Shakespeare was here, right now, and he told me a joke, I would kick him in the codpiece and spit in his ruff.

  This project doesn't really end here.  Like knitting, which has become a daily relaxation, I'll be keeping up with the Shakespeare (though not to relax, just to feel a little smarter).  I'm almost caught up to Mary in her reading of Shakespeare's plays, so we can discuss them at length again (which, as I said before, is kinda fun).

  It's a nice thing to have now read enough of Shakespeare to feel confident enough to say I think some of his stuff is crap.  It actually increases my love of Midsummer Night's Dream, Macbeth, Lear.

  I learned to never read, listen to, watch, or countenance in any fashion, Love's Labour's Lost.

  I hate that play.

  -Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment